Mediation is a process that promotes the self-determination of participants and in which participants, with the support of a mediator;
- Communicate with each other, exchange information and seek understanding
- Identify, clarify and explore interests, issues and underlying needs
- Consider their alternatives
- Generate and evaluate options
- Negotiate with each others
- Reach and make their own decisions
A Professional mediator does not evaluate or advise on the merits of or determine the outcome of disputes. This should be achieved at the end of the mediation.